Wednesday 3 July 2013

Powerlifting: More Than Just Picking Things Up and Putting Them Down - Sports

Powerlifting is one of the toughest sports around. It promotes both mental and physical toughness. Powerlifting meets last up to twelve hours and following day is commonly referred to as the train-wreck because you feel as though youve been run over by a train. So why do people do it? Sometimes I really cant answer that question. Powerlifting is what is called a cult sport.(Tate) This means that there are comparatively fewer followers than those of mainstream sports such as basketball, but those who compete, do it until they die. The level of heart in the sport is unparalleled. This is largely due to the fact that there is no money in the sport so those who compete do it solely for the love of it. I think that a powerlifter that I met on my plane ride to nationals this past spring summarized the sport best: Powerlifting is the dumbest sport Ive ever competed in. You literally kill yourself for like two months prior to the meet, and twelve hours during, and then the next da y you wish you were dead. Its like cocaine or something. After every meet I think Jesus thats the last one. Im getting too old for this shit. And then the next week Im back in the gym, busting my ass all over again, loving every second of it.

World renowned strength coach Dave Tate gave a seminar in Boston about nine months ago which I attended. He and his training partners talked about success and internal drive. He said, among other things:In order to succeed in this sport you need to push yourself like youve never thought possible. You need to be the best you can be, and you need to have integrity. Ive found that at times powerlifting can be like a drug. Satisfaction and improvement are as addictive as heroin. I remember one time after an intense heavy squat work out I literally could not walk up stairs for a week. One of the guys that I was training with at the time called me up to see if I was still alive. When he asked me how I was feeling, the only word that came to my mind was miserable. And he said:Good. Thats fucking hardcore. Now fucking do it again next fucking week.And that speech, if you can call it that, kind of motivated me and made me forget about the pain in my legs, and also made my buy a tu b of Icy Hot. But the point Im trying to make is that the two strongest parts of your body are your mind and your heart. Anyone can go to the gym and make a lot of noise and throw some weights around and say theyre big and strong, but there are only a few people that can prove it.





iAutoblog the premier autoblogger software

No comments:

Post a Comment